Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Week 5 When Is Spring?

Well the week of February 11 through the 17 proved to be challenging for my running schedule due to the weather, family obligations and work. I was slated to run 30 miles this week. It did not turn out that way.

I started out running on Monday and ran probably 2 ½ of the coldest miles I have run in a long time. It was 4 degrees and with the wind chill it was -10 degrees. I was supposed to do 4 miles, but as my face chapped I decided to cut it short. It is these constant reminders of why I have never done a spring marathon that drive me crazy. I want to run, but getting motivated to run in the dark in freezing cold weather just sucks!

Wednesday came and it was still cold but I was real determined to run. I ran around town and cruised an easy cold 4 miles in 32 minutes. Some days my lungs don’t seem to mind the cold and other days it seems I pay the price. Today I got in a good run. I can’t help but think how good it will feel when I can get back to running in shorts and cut off t-shirts.

Friday night my wife and I traveled to Oberlin College to watch my daughter run the mile on an indoor track. As much as I hate running outside, I think an indoor track might be worse. Sure it is dry, warm and smooth, but it is also hard to breathe, dry, warm and smooth. It is just not my style of running. On the way to Oberlin, we stopped and picked up my cousin Brian (Kyrsti’s godfather) in Brooklyn, Ohio and he went with us. After the meet we ate at Max and Erma’s and then traveled home. Needless to say I missed my scheduled 5 mile run on this day.

Saturday morning Kyrsti and I got up early and traveled to Mill Creek to get in my long run. We had plans to meet a group of people there and were surprised to see Jim Harris, his wife Beth, his son Eric and the Maheu family (Lenny, Kellie and Audrey). After we decided the route to run, we were off. It was real cold starting off (about 10 degrees). There are areas in the park that seem colder. When you run into low lying areas with heavy tree coverage, it seems like it may be 10-15 degrees colder.

Kyrsti was planning on running 50 minutes. I had planned to my long run so I decided I would do a loop with her and then go for another loop after dropping her off at the car (we drove separately so she could go home). We started out as a whole group but after a few minutes we were in two groups. Jim, Audrey, Kyrsti, Eric and I were in the front group with the others following behind us. We traveled alongside Cohasset and made our way to Big Bear. The climb warmed us all up and by the time we reached the top I was wiping sweat from my forehead.

When we reached the Mill, Jim decided he was going to turn around and run back to Beth, Kellie, and Lenny. His son Eric turned around with him. They were planning on getting in 8-10 miles. Kyrsti, Audrey and I continued on our way around the park. We ran East Cohasset Drive and found it snow covered and difficult to run on. We enjoyed each others company and talked about college, track, cross country and anything else. When we reached the Green Bridge at the end of Lake Glacier, Audrey said she was going to go around. Kyrsti and I split from her and we ran back to the Lily Pond.

Kyrsti ran for about 55 minutes and she seemed happy with that. I changed my tops and put some dry stuff on. I was in a full sweat now. I ate a Hammer Gel and drank some Succeed before heading out on the second half of my run. The second half was completely unplanned. I knew that I did not want to run East Cohasset again because the footing was really bad. I exited the Lily Pond parking lot and decided I was going to run up towards Bears Den cabin. I hadn’t run to the top of this in a while and thought it would be enjoyable.

I made my way up the steady climb and just found myself running on various roads throughout the park to make my run a total of 2 hours and 15 minutes. I estimate that I ran about 15 miles and was quite happy with this run. I did see other runners out on the course and was happy to run along with 3 guys for a short while.

My week ended on Sunday and instead of running I was at a swim meet at Y.S.U. for the entire day. I left at 6:45 a.m. and returned home at 8:00 p.m. (so much for a day off). Instead of running I chose to do some stretching and get prepared for the upcoming week. All in all it wasn’t a bad week, but it is so hard to get in the runs with the weather as a deterrent.

Totals for the week:
190 minutes of running
21 ½ miles
Long run 15 miles (2 hrs. 15 minutes)
Weight 198

1 comment:

Brian said...

Keep up the training.. warmer days are ahead of us. Looking forward to running with you guys on Saturday!